Welcome to New England!
A New England vacation is a getaway your family will love!
The natural beauty, culture, and history of New England attract and delight visitors from around the world. The six states that compose the region -- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont -- have distinct characters, but they all host visitors in all seasons of the year. Fall is for viewing the colorful foliage; winter brings all manner of snow sports; spring is the time for urban fun, museums, and cultural attractions; and summer is for getting outdoors in the mountains, meadows, and beaches.
Click here to view a full map of New England
New England states:
An easy drive from New York City and Philadelphia, Connecticut is a place of Revolutionary War history and cultural attractions, like the architecture and museums of Yale University in New Haven; the home of writer Mark Twain in Hartford; and the many charming village greens, antique shops, and cozy inns of the rural Litchfield region. Two major attractions are the Mystic Seaport living history museum and Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, as well as two giant Native American casinos, Foxwoods in Mashantucket and Mohegan Sun in Uncasville.
Discover Events and Festivals in Connecticut.
The northernmost New England state, Maine has a dual character. People love its magnificent, rocky coasts and plentiful historic lighthouses, and also its forested inland mountains and lakes. A gem is Acadia National Park on the coast, with rocky beaches, bluffs, and stunning ocean vistas. The southern coast has wonderful sand beaches like Old Orchard Beach and Ogunquit, and the coastal city of Portland, with a burgeoning foodie culture, great art museums, and interesting 19th-century architecture. The inland lakes and mountains attract hunters, fishermen, hikers, skiers, and snowmobilers.
Discover Events and Festivals in Maine.
Massachusetts has the most variety of the New England states. Boston is a world-class city with many prestigious universities, dining of every description, music, museums and Revolutionary War history. Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket attract visitors with their fabulous beaches and comfortable maritime setting. Western Massachusetts and the Berkshires offer ski mountains and cultural attractions in Tanglewood, Lenox, and Stockbridge. The story of the Pilgrims is told in Plymouth. The northern towns of Gloucester, Salem, and Lowell display the state's fishing, witching, and industrial history.
Discover Events and Festivals in Massachusetts.
New Hampshire is loved for its magnificent White Mountains, where visitors enjoy snow sports; luxury resorts and inns; scenic railroad excursions; and outdoor family attractions for kids. The state has a short but dynamic oceanfront in its southeastern corner. Big sand beaches with family entertainments are busy all summer. The port town of Portsmouth is on a river teeming with boat traffic, and visitors love its pretty downtown, great shopping and dining. The region surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee attracts generations of families for lakeside summer vacations.
Discover Events and Festivals in New Hampshire.
Rhode Island packs a lot of variety into its small geography. Visitors beam with wonder at Newport's oceanfront Gilded Age mansions and enjoy the city's stunning vistas and lively downtown with dining, culture, and historic buildings. The South County region spoils vacationers with broad, sandy beaches and summer entertainment. The city of Providence has a restored downtown surrounding a gorgeous riverfront park. The Providence Place Mall and Federal Hill, the city's Little Italy neighborhood, offer great shopping and dining. The inland Blackstone Valley tells the story of the earliest textile mill societies in America.
Discover Events and Festivals in Rhode Island.
The world's mental picture of Vermont is: green mountains; brilliant fall foliage; small, pretty towns and idyllic farms in lush valleys; fabulous skiing; maple trees and maple syrup. All of that is true. It is the one New England state with no oceanfront, but gorgeous Lake Champlain and its islands provide a playground for winter and summer water sports. The state has one major city, Burlington, which hums with community spirit and cultural activity. Manchester and its surrounding towns distill all the pleasures of Vermont, from inns to dining to mountainside fun.
Discover Events and Festivals in Vermont.
- “Memphis” - Ivoryton, CT
- Field of Artisans Summer Pop-Up Market - South Kingstown, RI
- Exhibit: Peter Blume: Nature and Metamorphosis - Hartford, CT
- Summer Jazz at Wequassett - Chatham, MA
- “The Wyeths: America Reflected” - Sandwich, MA
- From Birds to Beasts: Audubon's Last Great Adventure - Manchester, NH
- Walnut Beach Summer Concert Series 2015 - Walnut Beach, CT
- East Haven Sunday Concerts on the Green 2015 - East Haven, CT
- Family Barnyard Programs at Wolfe's Neck Farm - Freeport, ME
- “Hansel and Gretel” at Acadia Repertory Theatre - Somesville, ME
- Rhode Island Masters Exhibition at the Gilbert Stuart Museum - Saunderstown, RI
- Summer Concerts at the Trumbull Town Hall 2015 - Trumbull,, CT
- Norwalk Summer Concert Series and July 4 Fireworks 2015 - Norwalk, CT
- Whistler’s Mother: Grey, Black, And White - Williamstown, MA
- “Million Dollar Quartet” - Ogunquit, ME
- American Impressionism: The Lure of the Artists’ Colony - Springfield, MA
- Burnside Park Music Series + Beer Garden - Providence, RI
- Flutterby: Butterflies in Bloom - Providence, RI
- “My Sky” Exhibit at Providence Children’s Museum - Providence, RI
- “La Cage Aux Folles” - East Haddam, CT
- Plimoth Plantation Summer Workshops - Plymouth, MA
- Sunday Bandstand Concert Series 2015 at Bethel Common - Bethel, ME
- Madagascar: Ghosts of the Past Exhibit - Greenwich, CT
- Summer Live Music at Newport Vineyards - Middletown, RI
- Jazz Jam Session at Aurora - Providence, RI
- Summer Concert Series at Carolyn’s Sakonnet Vineyard - Little Compton, RI
- Flutterby: Butterflies in Bloom - Providence, RI
- Schoolyard Market - Warren, RI
- St. Andrew’s Wednesday Summer Concert Series 2015 - Block Island / New Sshoreham, RI
- Concerts at Windsor Lake - North Adams, MA
- Mount Washington Cog Railway Guided Photo Tour - Marshfield Station, NH
- Sheffield Island Lighthouse Clambakes - Norwalk, CT
- “Black Comedy” By Peter Shaffer - Bennington, VT
- Boat Tour of the Bakers Island Light Station - Salem, MA
- Burlington Edible History Tour - Burlington, VT
- “I Hate Hamlet” - Dorset, VT
- “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike” - Nantucket, MA
- “Cats” - Hyde Park, VT
- “Ruthless! the Musical” - Berwick, ME
- “The Road to Where” - Weston, VT
- “Young Frankenstein” - Wakefield, RI
- Ghost Walks of New New Haven - New Haven, CT
- Sunday Music at Miranda Vineyard with Jim Palermo - Goshen, CT
- “Summer Days, Starry Nights” and "Purely Pastel" - Old Lyme, CT
- iD with Cirque Eloize - Mashantucket, CT
- Vietnam Era Aircraft Display - Windsor Locks, CT
- Exploring the Magic of Photography: Painting with Light - Searsport, ME
- Sea to Table Talks & Tastings, Cooking Class with Dinner - New London, CT
- Made in the Americas: The New World Discovers Asia - Boston, MA
- Van Gogh’s Ear Music and Art of the Romantic Century - Great Barrington, MA
- Nighttime Lantern Tour of the Gorge and Caves of Lost River - North Woodstock, NH
- "Pippin" - Lincoln, NH
- “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” - Meredith, NH
- “Avenue Q” - Portsmouth, NH
- Summer Music at the Levitt Pavilion - Westport, CT
- “The Glass Menagerie” - Weston, VT
- Trails & Sails: Two Weekends of Walks and Water - Salem, Gloucester, Peabody, Amesbury, Newburyport, Lynn, MA
- "Engagements" - Pittsfield, MA
- “His Girl Friday” - Pittsfield, MA
- Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players - Newport, RI
- Corn Maze 2015 at Escobar's Farm - Portsmouth, RI
- Rough Point Landscape History and Garden Tour - Newport, RI
- End of Summer Weekend at Haight-Brown Vineyards - Litchfield, CT
- The Spirit of Michael - Ridgefield, CT
- PEM Exhibit: Strandbeest: The Dream Machines of Theo Jansen - Salem, MA
- Corn Maze and Mini Moo Labyrinth 2015 at Fort Hill Farm - Thompson, CT
- Yours Sincerely, John S. Sargent - Boston, MA
- Escobar’s Farm Corn Maze 2015 - Portsmouth, RI
- Davis Mega Maze 2015 - Sterling, MA
- Blistered Fingers Family Bluegrass Festival in August 2015 - Litchfield, ME
- Lowell Summer Music Series 2015 - Lowell, MA