Welcome to New England!
A New England vacation is a getaway your family will love!
The natural beauty, culture, and history of New England attract and delight visitors from around the world. The six states that compose the region -- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont -- have distinct characters, but they all host visitors in all seasons of the year. Fall is for viewing the colorful foliage; winter brings all manner of snow sports; spring is the time for urban fun, museums, and cultural attractions; and summer is for getting outdoors in the mountains, meadows, and beaches.
Click here to view a full map of New England
New England states:
An easy drive from New York City and Philadelphia, Connecticut is a place of Revolutionary War history and cultural attractions, like the architecture and museums of Yale University in New Haven; the home of writer Mark Twain in Hartford; and the many charming village greens, antique shops, and cozy inns of the rural Litchfield region. Two major attractions are the Mystic Seaport living history museum and Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, as well as two giant Native American casinos, Foxwoods in Mashantucket and Mohegan Sun in Uncasville.
Discover Events and Festivals in Connecticut.
The northernmost New England state, Maine has a dual character. People love its magnificent, rocky coasts and plentiful historic lighthouses, and also its forested inland mountains and lakes. A gem is Acadia National Park on the coast, with rocky beaches, bluffs, and stunning ocean vistas. The southern coast has wonderful sand beaches like Old Orchard Beach and Ogunquit, and the coastal city of Portland, with a burgeoning foodie culture, great art museums, and interesting 19th-century architecture. The inland lakes and mountains attract hunters, fishermen, hikers, skiers, and snowmobilers.
Discover Events and Festivals in Maine.
Massachusetts has the most variety of the New England states. Boston is a world-class city with many prestigious universities, dining of every description, music, museums and Revolutionary War history. Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket attract visitors with their fabulous beaches and comfortable maritime setting. Western Massachusetts and the Berkshires offer ski mountains and cultural attractions in Tanglewood, Lenox, and Stockbridge. The story of the Pilgrims is told in Plymouth. The northern towns of Gloucester, Salem, and Lowell display the state's fishing, witching, and industrial history.
Discover Events and Festivals in Massachusetts.
New Hampshire is loved for its magnificent White Mountains, where visitors enjoy snow sports; luxury resorts and inns; scenic railroad excursions; and outdoor family attractions for kids. The state has a short but dynamic oceanfront in its southeastern corner. Big sand beaches with family entertainments are busy all summer. The port town of Portsmouth is on a river teeming with boat traffic, and visitors love its pretty downtown, great shopping and dining. The region surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee attracts generations of families for lakeside summer vacations.
Discover Events and Festivals in New Hampshire.
Rhode Island packs a lot of variety into its small geography. Visitors beam with wonder at Newport's oceanfront Gilded Age mansions and enjoy the city's stunning vistas and lively downtown with dining, culture, and historic buildings. The South County region spoils vacationers with broad, sandy beaches and summer entertainment. The city of Providence has a restored downtown surrounding a gorgeous riverfront park. The Providence Place Mall and Federal Hill, the city's Little Italy neighborhood, offer great shopping and dining. The inland Blackstone Valley tells the story of the earliest textile mill societies in America.
Discover Events and Festivals in Rhode Island.
The world's mental picture of Vermont is: green mountains; brilliant fall foliage; small, pretty towns and idyllic farms in lush valleys; fabulous skiing; maple trees and maple syrup. All of that is true. It is the one New England state with no oceanfront, but gorgeous Lake Champlain and its islands provide a playground for winter and summer water sports. The state has one major city, Burlington, which hums with community spirit and cultural activity. Manchester and its surrounding towns distill all the pleasures of Vermont, from inns to dining to mountainside fun.
Discover Events and Festivals in Vermont.
- “The Nutcracker” - Boston, MA
- The Art of Giving: The Giving of Art - Brandon, VT
- Holidaze: The Real Story of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas - Guilford, CT
- Deck the Walls and Celebrate Lyme’s Beauty - Old Lyme, CT
- Gingerbread House Festival - South Windsor, CT
- Night of the Nutcracker 2015: A Special Evening for Children - Portland, ME
- The Nonantum's 12 Days of Christmas Fun 2015 - Kennebunkport, ME
- “It's a Wonderful Life” - Lowell, MA
- Fantasy of Lights 2015 - New Haven, CT
- Holiday Light Fantasia 2015 at Goodwin Park - Hartford, CT
- "A Christmas Carol - A Ghost Story of Christmas" - Hartford, CT
- Holidays at Highfield 2015 - Falmouth, MA
- Winter Reimagined at Tower Hill Botanical Garden - Worcester, MA
- Christmas at Victoria Mansion 2015 - Portland, ME
- Glassblowers' Christmas at Sandwich Glass Museum - Sandwich, MA
- "A Christmas Carol" - Providence, RI
- “The Nutcracker” by Maine State Ballet - Portland, ME
- Family Days at Shelburne Museum: Deck the Halls - Shelburne, VT
- Bright Nights at Forest Park 2015 - Springfield, MA
- José Mateo Ballet Theatre: The Nutcracker - Boston, MA
- Festival of Trees at Massachusetts Horticultural Society - Wellesley, MA
- “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” - Cotuit, MA
- Train to Christmas Town - Hyannis, MA
- Santa’s Holiday Express - North Conway, NH
- Bowen’s Wharf Holiday Block Party and Christmas Tree Lighting 2015 - Newport, RI
- Blink! Sound & Light Show 2015 at Faneuil Hall Marketplace - Boston, MA
- Gardens Aglow 2015 at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens - Boothbay, ME
- Winter Wonderland With Belle, Mrs. Potts & Chip - Chatham, MA
- ZooLights 2015 at Stone Zoo - Stoneham, MA
- The Polar Express Train Ride 2015 - Woonsocket, RI
- Holiday High Tea at Lippitt House - Providence, RI
- Christmas at Blithewold 2015 - Bristol, RI
- The Polar Express 2015 - Portland, ME
- Music in the Living Room at Blithewold - Bristol, RI
- The Downtown Cabaret Children’s Company Presents “A Christmas Carol” - Bridgeport, CT
- North Pole Express - Essex, CT
- "A Christmas Carol" - Bridgeport, CT
- The Polar Express Train Ride - Hopedale, MA
- Christmas 2015 at the Newport Mansions - Newport, RI
- Santa Express 2015 with the Hobo Railroad - Lincoln, NH
- "The Polar Express" on IMAX - Norwalk, CT
- “The Rant” - Pawtucket, RI
- Laugh Lounge with the Berkshire Theatre Festival - Pittsfield, MA
- “A Confederacy of Dunces” - Boston, MA
- Friday Nights at Artistry: Craft-Making & Shopping at Guilford Art Center - Guilford, CT
- Train Show 2015 at Connecticut River Museum - Essex, CT
- IMAX Films: Great White Shark 3D and Humpback Whales 3D and Secret Ocean 3D - Boston, MA
- Wild Lights Festival at ECHO - Burlington, VT
- Eyes on the Land Exhibit at Shelburne Museum - Shelburne, VT
- Paintings by Bob Aiken - Waitsfield, VT
- You Can't Get There From Here: The 2015 Portland Museum of Art Biennial Exhibit - Portland, ME
- “The Snow Queen” - Watertown, MA
- “Oliver” - Portsmouth, NH
- Nature By Design Exhibit - Lowell, MA
- “Always a Bridesmaid” - Newport, RI
- Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” - Dorchester, MA
- After Hopper in Truro - Truro, MA
- Country Christmas in Bethel 2015 - Bethel, ME
- The Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff - Newport, RI
- Every Christmas Story Ever Told...(and then some!) - Monmouth, ME